Frequently Asked Questions
What is the annual cost of NZSIA/SBINZ membership?
Why should I become a member and what do I get for paying my membership?
- Becoming a member of the NZSIA/SBINZ means you can attend any of the courses or qualifications on offer. This is a mandatory fee, that will keep your qualification valid and entitles you to an array of member benefits.
- Member’s qualifications are maintained on a database which allows NZSIA to verify your certification to employers. You will be able to access the information using your login details.
- Your licence card is used as evidence of certification for employment and immigration purposes as well as proof of current membership. Membership is required by most New Zealand and overseas Snowsports Schools for insurance purposes prior to starting work.
- Your support of the organisation through your subscription ensures that the NZSIA can continue to maintain and develop courses which are recognised worldwide. As a member you have access to further courses to develop your career in the Snowsports Industry.
- NZSIA also represents the interests of Instructors at national and international organisations as well as maintaining the international standard of our certification.
- The NZSIA/SBINZ website provides information, news items of interest, as well as employment opportunities.
- The website shows special deals and benefits available to members.
How do I get my card?
What happens if I miss a year of membership fees?
What is an associate member and what does it cost?
Can I pay for my membership online?
Is life membership available?
Can I smoke or vape on a course?
Smoking and vaping not permitted on our courses out of respect for other candidates and our trainers. Outside course time (lunchtime and breaks), please adhere to the guidelines from the resorts.
How do I book for my first course as a non-member?
I am a member/associate-member, how do I book for a course?
I don't have a member log in (or have forgotten it) but I'm a paid member, what do I do?
Will I receive something that tells me if I am booked on a course?
Can I reserve a place without paying?
What is included in the course fee?
Any discount on lift passes available?
Out of resort candidates of the NZSIA/SBINZ will receive a 50% discount on their lift passes while on NZSIA/SBINZ courses. Contact email@example.com for further questions
What is your refund policy?
Course withdrawal for New Zealand courses
Full refund will be given if notice of withdrawal is received in writing 10 days prior to the start of the course. Course fees will not be refunded for withdrawals within ten days of the course start date with the exception for injuries where a medical certificate will be required. If you register and have an existing injury, a decision must be made at least ten days before the start of the course.
Course withdrawal for overseas courses
Full refund will be given if notice of withdrawal is received in writing 30 days prior to the start of the course. Course fees will not be refunded for withdrawals within 30 days of the
course start date including for injuries. Please purchase travel insurance to cover yourself in this situation if an injury occurs. If you register and have an existing injury, you must make your decision at least 30 days before the start of the course. All other refunds are at the discretion of the course manager.
NZSIA/SBINZ reserves the right to limit, cancel or postpone courses if circumstances warrant. Full refunds will be given in the event of a course cancellation.
How do I know I am the right ability to join level one?
If you are unsure how you compare to the standard for level one we recommend you take a one hour private lesson at your local ski school. Ask for an NZSIA Examiner for that one hour as this will ensure you receive an accurate assessment and correct advice. If you still have some concerns then take some video footage showing your ability and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Are NZSIA and SBINZ qualifications recognised internationally?
What level of fitness is needed to do an NZSIA course?
Our courses involve intensive skiing/snowboarding and learning. It is therefore important that you are physically fit and in good condition to be able to take full advantage of the training and education provided and to perform at your best for the whole period.
What qualifications do I need to obtain my ISIA stamp?
What is the minimum standard required to sit the Level One?
For Ski Level One you must be able to make advanced parallel turns on most terrain at the ski area. For Snowboard you must be able to ride blue runs in control.
What are the NZSIA Ski class levels?
|Class Levels||Skiing Description|
|Level One||Beginner – never skied before.|
|Level Two||Beginner – wedge turn skier controlling speed with turn shape and comfortable on green terrain.|
|Level Three||Intermediate – skier starting the turn in a wedge with the skis becoming parallel through the turn. Comfortable on blue terrain.|
|Level Four||Intermediate – Basic parallel skier where skis and legs work simultaneously throughout the turn. Comfortable on blue terrain.|
|Level Five||Advanced – Ski at an advanced level, which is making advanced parallel turns utilizing ski design to aid shaping of short, medium and long radius turns on most terrain at the ski area. The skier remains balanced and controlled.|
|Level Six||Expert– A strong skier making carved turns with a variety of radius on all groomed terrain. Skis off-piste ski area terrain with speed and confidence using different turn types.|
Can I sit Level One and Level Two in the same season?
Can I sit the Level Two, Three or Trainers Cert with a foreign qualification?
Can NZQA units standards be awarded for any of the qualifications?
What age do I have to be before sitting these qualifications?
Do I need a manual?
There is a pdf version of each manual on the downloads page of the website. It can be downloaded here. If you would like a hard copy of the manual for ski and snowboard, you can purchase it through your profile under “manuals and merchandise”. Please ensure your address is correct on your profile, as that is where the manual will be sent to. Also please ensure you purchase the correct postage.