Message from the NZSIA President – Daniel Bogue
Wow, what a summer/winter! The NZSIA got back to our Northern Hemisphere operations, and there was a huge demand for courses and exams. Despite the late news of Japan opening, we still had a full season of exams, and I was lucky enough to do my first exam in Japan in March. It’s great to see so many NZSIA and SBINZ jackets out on the slopes doing such a great job for us.
From Japan, I joined up with the team and headed off to Finland for Interski. It was an incredible event with over 1500 participants, 34 nations, 207 volunteers (who were amazing), and 300 events within the week itself. The team did an amazing job over the week and kept themselves busy rushing between workshops and clinics while working on their indoor and on-snow presentations. A highlight for me was the keynote presented by Ann Schorling. It was the biggest crowd at any keynote and received a standing ovation. I highly recommend watching it.
Interski 2023 – Thu 30.3.2023 – Keynote – Increasing Gender Equity in Snowsports Instruction: Link here
Austria has pulled out of bidding for the next Interski. This means, at this stage, there is no location for the next Interski. There have been possible bids that have come forward since, and voting will take place in October if multiple options develop. We are also in discussions with Korea and Japan about possible mini Interski catch-ups in the Asia Pacific region.
Here are some developments since the last Board meeting:
- AGM and Induction: The AGM and Induction will take place in Queenstown again this year. NZSki will host the staff induction for the on snow events, and it will be our largest examining staff ever. The AGM will be held on 16th June 2023 at the Holiday Inn – Remarkables park, Frankton at 5:30 pm. It will be an excellent opportunity to welcome our new staff and members. There will be one vote this year for the North Island Representative position. Glenn Bradley will be standing again, and nominations can be put forward if others are interested.
- New Manuals: We aim to release the new ski and snowboard manuals this winter once the committees have their meetings this season. The current ski manual is available on the downloads page and can be purchased in the shop. The new snowboard manual can also be found on the downloads page.
- Interski Finland 2023: Lots of great info on this event: Ski facebook, SBINZ facebook and Interski website.
- NZSIA vehicles: After three years of renting, we have decided to purchase NZSIA vehicles again. It was becoming increasingly difficult to source vehicles for the season at a reasonable cost. We now have two new Nissan X Trails that are hybrids. We are excited to move into a more sustainable space with our vehicles and look forward to seeing how they operate for us in a mountainous environment.
- SAANZ/Industry discount: We will run the Industry discount again for 2023. Each resort will be given a specific number of “Voucher codes” to allocate among their instructors as they see fit. If your resort allocates the codes at the end of the season, we will apply the discount retrospectively. Book your course early to secure your place, and we can sort out the refund at the end of the season if the resort allocates the discount to you. The discount system is not finalised yet, but we aim to have it locked in by mid-June 2023 when the season kicks off. Contact your Snowsports manager for the application process closer to the time.
This season is already shaping up to be a very busy season both for the mountains and for the NZSIA . If you are intending to be taking a course or exam this year, be sure to book your spot early as courses are already filling up. Our managers and admin staff will do their best to open courses and clear waitlists but can’t always produce miracles. Don’t miss out !
I look forward to catching up with everyone at the AGM, if not throughout the season.
Daniel Bogue – NZSIA President
AGM and North Island Representative Election
This Year’s AGM will be held in Queenstown at the Holiday Inn- Queenstown – Remarkables Park.
Address: 28 Red Oaks Drive, Frankton, Queenstown – directions: here
Date: Friday 16th June 2023
Time: 5:30pm – 7:30pm – drinks and nibbles afterwards. Great chance to catch up with Stephanie Brown – our Ski Division Manager from 2007 – 2022, as we celebrate her time with NZSIA.
Any proposed motions and items of business from Members and the Board of NZSIA, including alterations to the constitution, must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, May 16th, 2023.
There is one position available for election on the Board for 2023: North Island Representative – Glenn Bradley is standing for re-election.
Suggested Qualities/Skills role of a Board member:
• Responsibility across the areas of risk, liability, leadership, and communication.
• Always act in good faith and in the best interests of the NZSIA.
• Liaise with North Island resorts to ensure they feel represented at Board level.
• Skills to engage in the development, approval, and monitoring of NZSIA strategy.
• Familiar with, but not necessarily currently involved in, snowsports.
• Must be a current NZSIA member.
• Must reside in New Zealand and be eligible for New Zealand employment.
• Involved in operational decisions, which often require regular commitment and timely communication.
Experience in one or more of the following areas is highly desirable:
• Health and safety management
• Organizational management
• People and performance
• Legal and risk (international /NZ)
• Leading strategy and direction
• Leadership of culture and values
• Financial management
Application for this Board Member position must be with NZSIA by 4.00pm Tuesday 16th May 2022. Link to apply: Here
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Glenn Bradley at email@example.com.
Quorum and Voting:
Under rule 16 of the Constitution, no less than 20 members of the Alliance being present shall constitute a quorum. All current members are entitled to vote. Electronic votes do not count towards the quorum.
Electronic voting will be available via a link provided and available from the website from: 4.00pm Thursday 18th May – 4.00pm Friday 9th June 2023.
The Returning Officer for the AGM will be Priscilla Duff – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or please call 03 451 1534.
- 4.00pm Tuesday 16th May 2023 – Deadline for Proposed Motions and Items of Business at AGM
- 4.00pm Tuesday 16th May 2023 – Deadline for Nominations for the North Island Representative Position
- 4.00pm Thursday 18th May 2023 – Electronic voting available
- 4.00pm Friday 9th June 2023 – Deadline for all Electronic Votes
- 5.30pm Friday 16th June 2023 – AGM – Queenstown- Holiday Inn – Remarkables Park
Salomon Member Benefit – Membership reminder
Don’t forget, get your membership current before the end of April if you want to apply for the Salomon Member Benefit deal for 2023.
The 2023 dates for Coaching are now loaded for the Introduction to Coaching Certification. Learn what it takes to prepare an athlete for the NZ Nationals. A great option for new and experienced instructors to develop their skills on and off the snow. Sign up to the Intro sessions, eLearning and the on-snow certificate in October. The Intro sessions can be completed in Wanaka or online! Interested?
- Book through your profile: Login
- Check out: NZSIA Coaching
- Any questions – email: email@example.com
Memberships rolled over on the 1st Jan 2023. Renewing for 2023 can be done through your profile (remember if you miss a year, fees accrue): https://www.nzsia.org/member/
- Log into your profile here.
- Check to make sure you have a photo uploaded to your profile (similar to a passport photo).
- A PDF version of your card will be created by the office and emailed to you once you have paid.
- If you require a physical card you can purchase one from our online shop for $5 – NZSIA online shop.
Booking on courses
Once you are current, then you can book on courses and get underway with your elearning. Check out your division calendars and see what is available:
- Ski: https://www.nzsia.org/ski/calendar/
- Snowboard: https://www.nzsia.org/snowboard/calendar/
- Adaptive: https://www.nzsia.org/adaptive/calendar/ – dates to be loaded soon – watch this space
- Telemark: https://www.nzsia.org/telemark/calendar/ – dates to be loaded soon – watch this space
- Coaching: https://www.nzsia.org/coaching-pathway/
The courses are starting to fill, so if you know what courses you want on this season, please look at getting your place secured nice and early. If a course is already on “waitlist”, please follow the link so we know, then we can do our best to accommodate you.
This is brewing to be a cracker of a season as we welcome everyone back to Aoteroa for 2023 – lets get excited!!!
Your NZSIA team